View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Example 8 isn't working out for me. I made a thread about it. If you already figured out the issue, or can let me know it's really not an issue, I'd appreciate it.

Example 8.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=475526
I read your other thread but I'm going to put my answer here since it will make more sense to people who have the book and can refer to what I am saying.

I think the answer is that the section is about leading tones, walk-ups and walk downs. This is a leading tone example. On page 18, Dan discusses replacing the last strum in the alternating bass sequence with the leading tone. He then provides Example 8 titled rhythm using leading tones. Only after this, does he use the word "walk" for the first time. In the first paragraph on page 19, Dan says that we can strengthen the sound of the movement between chords by using a longer base walk-up. He follows that with some discussion of walk-ups and Example 9 titled rhythm walking up the scale.

So, Example 8 does not sound like a walking bass line because it isn't trying to be one. It is an example of using leading tones.