Thread: Elliott Capos
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Hey Todd, I'm not looking to kick up a dust storm or anything, but are you privy to information about the arrangement between Elliott and Rice? You mention that money is "donated" to Rice when capos bearing his name are sold. I'm curious why you put it that way. Nike doesn't donate money to Tiger Woods when they use his name--he gets paid for the use of his name and likeness. I would assume the same holds for Tony Rice--earned money is not a donation. Now, if the Elliott's are going above and beyond any contracted royalty per sale and actually donating cash to Tony, that's awesome!
I first learned of Phill's TR Capo project last fall from John Lawless' story in Bluegrass Today in which he states "The Rice signature capo sells for $235, with a substantial portion of the selling price going to Tony." I was surprised that I could see no mention of this on Phill's site.

Rice has endorsed a number of products throughout the years, including Ovation guitars, Bill Stokes' version of the McKinney Capo in the 1990's, D'Aquisto nickel strings, and Martin's current medium Monel strings, but the Elliott/TR capo doesn't seem to be such a business arrangement.

Along with Dana Bourgeois' high-bid guitar auction that raised $10,000 and numerous benefit concerts arranged by friends of Tony, the Elliott capo looks like a direct donation of proceeds to help with Tony's medical bills.