View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicksNStrings View Post
Is it possible to get good volume from an unplugged Classical Guitar?
Hi PnS…
I don't know what you mean by good volume. You particular planned use will determine whether any guitar is loud enough for the application. If it's just for playing for you own pleasure, classical guitars are loud enough.

I led music today for a group of 35 people (mostly men) who were singing loudly in a small gym (hard floor, walls, 20 foot ceiling). I doubt any classical I've ever heard or played would have sufficed. My Olson Dreadnaught sailed through it...

I know my OM would not have been able to pull it off (35 men singing loudly put up quite a lot of sound), nor probably my mini-Jumbo.

All that to say...
You cannot manufacture projection and good volume by just playing cleaner or louder - there are inherent characteristics of all guitars which exploit or limit volume and projection.

There are also room dynamics which enhance or dampen projection and volume.

I attended a concert of 250 people with two superb classical guitar players with no amplification a couple months ago - and deliberately sat in the front row. Glad I did...

The audience was quiet and respectful, and despite the fact both had handbuilt classicals (one was a Hauser), and impeccable technique...the sound in the auditorium was anemic and underpowered. It sounded great from 20 feet away...some in the back left at intermission because they could not hear.

The auditorium is one used for many acoustic performances in our community (choirs, orchestras, bands, ensembles etc). It is not conducive to a non-amplified classical guitar.

A player at our monthly guitar society meeting owns two classical guitars, a small bodied spruce topped and a larger body cedar topped guitar, and the cedar topped instrument is superior in both tone, and volume over the smaller one.

I don't see that it would be any different from an acoustic guitar in that a person really needs to go and play classical guitars in person to know how they will sound/project.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…