View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post

The acoustical power from a classical guitar is predominantly in the bass and lower midrange. There is tons of excess treble and overtone volume (relative to the bass) in most steel-string guitars. So it's hard to get a warm, robust and detailed (fundamental) tone from steel and hard to get bright, ringing treble or "cut" from nylon.
This is why I, after playing a classical guitar exclusively for almost 4 years, found many steel string guitars lacking when I was doing serious shopping for a steel string this past summer. On many steel string guitars I really miss the bass and the warmth that I want/expect from a guitar. For this reason, I find myself really drawn to some of the better dreadnaughts, and to jumbos and such for fingerstyle. Many of the "fingerstyle guitars" don't give me the bass or the dynamic range I'm wanting and expecting for really expressive playing.

A good classical, played well, can have really nice, strong treble though too. At its best, the treble can be strong and lovely, and bell-like, with a richness to the tone that I find lacking in many steel string guitars.

Regarding volume: My Burguet classical is quite a loud guitar, and very very responsive. It is much louder than my Martin 000-15 (which admittedly is not a loud guitar), and approaches the volume of my cedar/rosewood Goodall concert jumbo (which is a very loud guitar, with a strong voice similar to a good dreadnaught). This Burguet is also light as a feather compared to the other instruments. The top appears to be incredibly thin - I'm almost scared holding it when I look at how thin the top is. But the sound is wonderful.

Last edited by wcap; 02-11-2010 at 04:18 PM.