View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
....However you put that fingerpicker into a concert scenario with other instruments in a live performance and the fingers cannot do what a pick can do in that situation. You probably disagree with that, too. LOL
Yeah, I think I'll disagree. That would just be a matter of amplification of the instrument, wouldn't it? And not even necessarily so. I'm thinking you are suggesting that a picked string with a flatpick will cut through where a fingerpicked string won't? Use of fingerpicks and acrylic nails, let alone some who play very loudly with bare fingers, makes that not so. A friend of mine flatpicks and fingerpicks. He's a pretty aggressive flatpicker. I play fingerstyle with him. Mostly acoustically. Sometimes with the same brand (loudness) of guitar, Lowdens. Our volume level in blending together is pretty even. I play with acrylics. He sometimes uses a stiff Wegen.

The Waybacks, when Stevie Coyle was with them, blended Stevie's fingerstyle with James Nash's very aggressive flatpicking. It worked fine. Lots of other examples exist.