Thread: Sexauer/'15
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
This sounds like another exceptional instrument you're having made iim7. Can I ask you and Bruce expect the effect will be of having a carved back as compared to a "usual" build?

All the best, Berf
I will let Bruce speak for himself, but I suspect that we're a bit off the map or at least near the edge (where dragons lie). I basically trust Bruce's mastery as a luthier to find the voice of a guitar and find a way to make a top and back work well together in harmony. I like exploring and trying different things. Perhaps being in R&D for 30-years will do that.

Like all of Bruce's guitars I expect it to be responsive and be balanced with good presence in all registers. Where I am hoping it will differ from my existing guitars is:

1) in its timbre: I think it will be a more fundamental dominant guitar, but still retain some overtones and harmonic content with a firm, present bass; clear, warm midrange with thick, articulate trebles;

2) in its immediacy: The notes should develop rapidly with fast transients and punch.

3) in its sustain: A general tendency towards a rapid decay, letting the notes get out of the way but not to the extent that a archtop does retaining some level of sustain.
Thanks for the detailed response iim7. It's really informative to hear your thoughts on this.

As for the woods, it looks like you can't go wrong whatever you choose.

The next big question is whether or not Bruce will have usable shoulder joints once the back carving is done???? Looks like one heck of a job given the thickness of those maple boards.

All the best, berf