View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I hope people understand poor phasing is bad, I always try to minimize phase differences, using as many tools as I can. A good demo would be a nice thing to have tho. I've had people send me tracks that were badly out of phase, just as you said - it leaps out at you - but often they can't hear it, and sometimes can't hear the difference even if I can correct it. I think the thing I'd find interesting is some details of how you overcome the issues of maintaining the 3-1 rule while placing spaced pairs to get a good sound, a demo and photo of the mic placement could be very helpful. For me, I've found a spaced pair placement that I think sounds good and is quite reasonably in phase, but doesn't conform to 3-1. But I'd love to hear about something better
Hi Doug, From your earlier post:

I usually place spaced pairs about 15 inches apart, which would mean 5 inches or closer to the guitar. That may work, but its pretty close! I'm usually more like 8 to 10 inches these days, and that's still close.

That's EXACTLY the kind of detail I'm looking for. Especially if we're talking about a 3:1 violation I'm looking for what HAS worked. I'd love it if a more realistic distance was something like 16" apart and 8" out, centered over the sound hole to avoid the bass build-up. I'm just going to have to try it out, but I'm still open for schoolin'.