View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Isn't that the truth! Do you find one style of mic placement more or less effective with people who move around a lot?
I don't record that many other people, I mostly record myself, that's hard enough. Most others I've recorded in recent times are pretty experienced and have no problems. Once in a rare while, someone who hasn't done much recording will come by, and I see a whole host of common problems, moving around while playing, sitting differently each time they sit down, holding the guitar different between takes, heavy breathing, not leaving silence before or after the recording, tapping their foot on the mic stand, etc.

I'd say in general, I've had better luck using spaced pairs with people who don't understand the stereo image issue, not because it helps during the song, but if they move between takes, it's easier to adjust the stereo image after the fact. There's less of a "soundstage" with spaced pairs, it's just two different spots on the guitar, and you can adjust the gain later to balance the channels. MS, on the other hand, sounds great if you get the balance perfectly right, but its cool properties get all messed up if you have to pan it, or adjust the gain of each side after you decode. I can recall one case where I used MS with a "mover" and the next time he came by, I went to spaced pairs, lesson learned.