View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I would not use hard panning (100% left and 100% right) on a 2-mic acoustic set up mix. Doing so would make it sound like your head is placed between the two mics (face on the guitar) when listening to it!
Instead I pan them about 10% apart and then together to one side or the other (or centered with each 5% off center, if you prefer).
It's a tip I got from drum mixing - only if you're sitting in the drum kit do you hear the hi hat 100% over to one side, the floor toms 100% over to the other, etc. If you're out in front it is much more condensed (I use the 'width' control in Reaper, which can move everything in toward the center, regardless of actual panning location).
With that scenario ( as part of a mix and panned in virtually to mono) it would be best to record with one mike on the guitar. For solo guitar go stereo fully panned hard right and left. Perceived location will follow from mike locations, room acoustics, and post recording processing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above