View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM

Lot of good advice here.

I've been "home recording" for the past few years with the MXL 990/991 pair. My experience is, if I'm recording an acoustic in a mix with drums and bass, I use the pencil 991 at the 14th fret aimed 45degrees to the soundlhole about 4 inches away. And, yes, rosewood guitars have too many harmonics and can muddy up the mix. I use an inexpensive mahogany guitar (maple would be good) for those and cut all the frequencies below 400 out of the guitar recording. Play around with the EQ, it makes a huge difference how the acoustic guitar is EQ'd in a mix. You don't want the bass of the acoustic competing with the bass drum or the bass, EQ it out.

For recording with out drums and bass the large diaphram picks up a wider spectrum of sounds and harmonics. This is where a rosewood will provide a "fuller" sound than the mahogany (I'm REALLY generalizing here) and an expensive guitar can really shine.

The further away the mic is from the source the more the "room" becomes a factor which unfortunately is how LDC sound best.

That 990 LDC is really sensitive, it seems to pick up a lot of low end noise in my house that I need to EQ out.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.