View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
There was some interest, so let's do this. If you're in, comment below...

If you think knowledge will somehow hurt your creativity...please join us!

Assignment one: pick one tuning to work with. I think standard is best, but if you prefer something else, go for it.

Part 1. Write out your fretboard diagram...every note, every fret (at least 1 thru 12) every string, every day this week. Actually physically write it out. No need to be anywhere near a guitar.

Part 2: spider fingers...on each string, play open, 1st fret, 2nd 3rd 4th, open index middle ring pinky...say the names of your notes as you play them. Then backwards, pinky ring middle index open...At least 3 times a day. Morning, after work, before bed...or whatever. But at least 3 times.

Part 3: keep playing songs and having fun and doing your normal stuff. This stuff is a supplement to making music, not a replacement.
Wanted to give a reply back to this thread, having now been 90 days plus.

I wrote out string diagrams for a couple of weeks, and tried to learn all the notes on all six strings.

After a while, realized I should stick to the natural notes, and use those to find sharps or flats if needed.

After a while longer, realized my fretboard knowledge was most restricted around the 7th fret, on the middle strings, so began to focus there.

Discovered the names spell the word "BEAD" then goes to F# on the B string. Also discovered one string up and two frets over gives the name on many notes. And discovered some repeating patterns elsewhere.

So while I don't claim mastery, I can fairly quickly recognize note names at any fret position on each string, and continue to review daily.

Plus I find when writing music I want to remember, I'm using note names rather than fret positions.

I suppose if you stick with anything for several months, you learn something, and I did enjoy drawing the string diagrams from scratch and labeling them.

I don't imagine I'll ever be enthralled with theory or scales, but the door has been opened, and at least I can begin to recognize the notes.