View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfThree View Post
…I've [positioned] the guitar more like a classical style with the neck facing up and the bottom tuning key, around face level.
When holding the guitar like this, it feels much better. However, I not sure if I'm sitting correctly or if I have the strap adjusted too high / or too low. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi DoT

Absolutely that neck position is better for fretting in a more relaxed manner.

I've used a NeckUP lift for about the past 15 years, and the position of a guitar which works for me is if the headstock is between chin and nose high. It pulls the fretting hand more toward the body of the player, and helps the left hand track up/down the neck better.

And especially if you are playing a larger bodied acoustic, using a strap or lift to continue working from the right knee rather than dropping the body of the guitar down a well & using a footstool is better for the back.

Not all of us can manage wearing the strap in the lap well (because our physique begins to resemble the Pillsbury Dough Boy). But there are many ways to elevate the neck to achieve the same thing.

In reality what you discovered is a pivot system. When wearing the strap it's easy to imagine the pivot point being about at the sound hole. As you raised the headstock you rotate the body of the guitar so the lower bout drops (in essence moving the picking hand closer to the sound hole and at a less sharp angle) while at the same time moving the fretting hand closer to your body.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…