View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 01:30 PM

It seems most/many acoustic players here play sitting exclusively so I will probably get flak for this but standing the heck up is a great option considering you bought a dreadnaught guitar.

Initially when I started playing I thought standing was harder. But when you get a good strap and learn how to stabilize the guitar standing can start to feel a lot more natural and relaxed. And in the case of large body guitars it often seems like they were intended to be played standing up.

Almost all these posture issues go away if you stand up. They certainly do for me.

The other thing with learning to stand up is it will give you a reference point so you know when your sitting posture is OK. We're all different, for some people it's easier to stand and for others it's easier to sit, and realistically you need to learn both.

I tend to sit if I'm playing with other acoustic players out of peer pressure but at home I stand most of the time unless I'd super dead tired, at which point I sit on a pretty tall guitar stool, the taller the position the easier it is for me to hold good posture.

Not having to look at the fretboard is HUGE too, and that takes quite a while to develop. Combining sitting + looking at fretboard all the time (beginner) + large body guitar and you have the hardest recipe for success/largest chance of injury.