View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hatcher's Studio 2018

Happy New Year!

Time to start a new studio thread. This year you will see that I am continuing my commitment to more sustainable woods. I am enjoying the treasure hunt finding extraordinary local and domestic woods and I am asking the hard questions about the source and sustainability of any exotics I purchase.

I've made an investment in equipment to do my own re-saw work which enables me to have complete control making the best cuts in the best billets I can find.

Here is an example to start the year off;

After tuning up my new 22" 5hp band saw and working the bugs out of my re-saw milling sled I am ready to start biting into the good stuff. Here's a picture of me working the set up:

Here are several billets of spalted, quilted, Western Big Leaf Maple. They're thin but, there's enough for two back and side sets if I don't mess up!

I didn't mess up Here are a couple pictures of what the wood looks like dry;

It would look great with Bloodwood trim;

Another advantage of cutting my own sets is I get the cutoffs for rosettes, headstocks, etc. without worrying about matching colors!

So this is the first of many more I have in the works. Wait until you see what I have in store. I intend to really expand your concept of what domestic wood can be!

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 01-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.