View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 08:54 AM

I'm happy to have the then and now difference. It was pretty neat stuff for my first real post-college job in a company that was at cutting edge of making better parts. They had patents on fixtures and QC so made more truly round cylinders and parts to spec than others could. They made parts for the then Corvette engines, John Deere and hydraulic cylinders and rams. In a short time you saw rows of traditional lathes and grinding move to operators who watched output quality and did setup instead of all the traditional machining steps.

All of a sudden old ways seemed stupid. Instead of inspecting x % of the previous day's work they knew how round parts were while they were being made. Everything stopped if something was wrong. The old way was scrap what you already made and hope what was shipped would not haunt you.

We got much better products but this was 1980s rust belt so it was also the start of seeing a lot of workers no longer having skill the whole world would pay a living wage for. Even then low skill jobs in the plant started to disappear.