View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
…I'm tempted. What holds me back is the lack of ability to bridge the USB-C input on my iPadPro to lightning female of the microphone.
…Perhaps the MV88 plus can manage it.
Hi all

I've done some research on this, and the Shure MV88+ (plus) model is mini-usb input, and can work with SOME Android phones, but with the iPad Pro models (USB-C) it will not allow the user to access and change the mic settings. So you have to use a different device (iPhone) and set the settings in the mic, then hook it up to the iPad.

I'm hoping they will alter this. It's also twice as expensive ($250 vs $129 in Nov 2019) for the plus model. It also doesn't rotate/pivot like the original, but instead mounts on a phone clip with a traditional camera-flash-fitting (included) and uses a cable to hook to the mic.

I've heard some music recorded with it, and it sounds great (Mary Spender has a video where she compared it in-studio to a matched pair of AKG 414 and the engineer was impressed). Certainly seems like a good creator tool coupled with phone which has a wide angle lens (you do need to be in somewhat close proximity to get best sound).

If Shure works the kinks out for accessing the mic directly from my iPad this looks promising. I hold out hope, because at some point it seems Apple will have to cave and go USB-C with phones like it has with iPad Pro models. Then Shure will either face designing a new model, or fixing the access on the existing one.

If you are not worried about connectors, then the original version is selling for $130, and is a great option.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…