View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Hi Bigzam...you probably should have posted this in the DIY section, but you should certainly get some responses from the luthiers posting here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzam12 View Post
Hey,

Heres my questions.

The top I want is also engelmann spruce, so I wanted the braces to be made out of the same spruce. I guess that wouldn't be a problem for a steel string guitar? I heard that engelmann dents easier, but bracing a steel string guitar with it shouldn't make it fly apart later, right? (I keep my temp and humidity in normal levels)
Don't worry about it, you'll be fine with whatever bracewood is provided in the kit, and carving the bracing is the "fun" part of "tuning" the guitar

Quote:
The back and sides are cocobolo, which is my favorite wood, but I heard that it can be hard to glue. they recommend which glue to buy, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem?
Coco is oily so if they have recommended the glue to use you should be o.k. It is also an allergen for many, so hopefully you won't be one of those that have a reaction to the cocobolo dust.

Quote:
What is a headstock veneer? A headstock is what goes over the head of your guitars, where the tuners attach to the neck, right? The kit has the option of ordering a headstock and a headstock veneer, evidently to go with each other?
While im talking about headstocks, does anyone know where I can get a blank brazilian rosewood headstock? I think it would go well with the cocobolo b/s.
Yes, the headstock is where the tuners are mounted, and the veneer is a thin piece of wood that covers the front, back or both. As for headstock materials you can try LMI, Stewart Macdonald (StewMac), RC Tonewoods, Allied Lutherie, etc. Not sure if they have brazilian, but cocobolo headstock veneers are pretty common.
Quote:

Any tips are welcome or suggestions! I know this will be a big job since I have to buy some tools, cut expensive wood, and finish everything up, but im determined to do it!

Thanks!
Good luck on your build...a kit has many of the parts pre-serviced (i.e. sides cut and bent, tops/backs joined and thicknessed, neck precarved, etc.) so it may not be as big a job as if you were building from scratch. Be sure to post pics along the way (in the DIY section)....Aloha, Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play