View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
Did we lose sight of something?

Seriously, I'm in favor of a sound hole being proportionate, which I guess is about 4" on a dreadnought. I've seen oversized rosettes, and they just don't look good to me. I would suspect the same for the sound hole.
Just my 2 cents.
I guess there are two considerations and a person would need to determine which is more important - Sound or aesthetics.

Sound is a factor of soundhole size, volume of the box, and the desire of the player along the bass-mid-treble spectrum.

Aesthetics would appear to be simply that...how it looks to the person that counts. For some, they can only see a centered hole...others can see the possibilities in an offset hole, or in no hole at all. Of course there is also the consideration of what an offset hole, or no hole does to the top bracing scheme, flexibility of the top and the resulting impact on sound.

That being said, whether or not a soundhole is too large (or too small), depends on the person that counts, and what they are wanting in terms of sound and aesthetics. Many folks don't really give it much thought when buying factory built guitars, because there typically isn't an option to modify the size or location of the soundhole. With custom builds, that may be an option, so it becomes more of a concern (possibility?) in that case.
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play