View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I haven't tried the Tonedexter and, although I haven't completely written it off, I'm unsure about it, mainly I think due to the added 'what mic?' factor...
I think you worry too much :-) You have a vocal mic, right? That would work fine. You might get *different* results with different mics (just like guitars, pickups,...) but it should work perfectly well with ToneDexter.

Here's the thing with gear. We all obsess about it, at least here on AGF. Will X be 1% better than Y, or Z or A or B, endlessly. But for every piece of gear out there, every guitar, every amp, PA, pickup, pedal, someone's probably out there right now happily gigging with it and thinking it's the best ever.

Let me be on a soapbox for another second. I've reported this story before on AGF. I went to a workshop with Ed Gerhard a few years ago, and he said he wanted to demo how he dealt with a venue that had bad sound. He wove some masking tape thru his strings, loosely, so that it rattled with every note and he had no sustain. He turned the treble on the sound system all the way up, and the bass all the way down, and increased the gain so he was getting some distortion. He said he was simulating a sound system that someone had stabbed with a fork :-) It was a truly awful sound. Then he played a pretty slack key tune. It was beautiful. He played to the sound he had, and made it work, just with his fingers and ears.

I think about that a lot. I'm always chasing gear, too. I probably shouldn't be. On the other had, the chase is half the fun, so... :-)