View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 01:54 PM

Typical music/piano wire has a UTS in the 380 - 425 Ksi range (Ksi is thousands of pounds per square inch, so tensile strength is directly related to cross-sectional area), ten times higher than the steel in the (excellent) example. So punching in the numbers a .010" string might go as high as around 30 lbs of tension. Remember that the tensile strength is directly related to the cross sectional area of the core wire, so making assumptions about hex cored wound G strings is going to be hard, I would expect them to be a pretty small core wire. Area is Pi R squared, so a very small increase in diameter has a large impact to area, and so tensile strength.

Failures are going to happen first where the wire is already stressed, so the kink at the tuning post, the break over the nut, where you play on the third fret the time, where the string breaks over the saddle, and where the tight winding around the end bead are all going to break before the unmarked straight middle of the string.