View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 11:34 AM

Janine, there are a lot of people offering good advice in the form of their opinions. Yes, a dollar is a dollar, but if you shop price alone, chances are you're going to be disappointed in the long run.

Take the Telecaster, for example. Also commonly referred to as a "T-type" because there are so many knockoffs. But Fender, and its "little brother" company Squier also make a variety of models of the venerable T-type. At the very low end is the Squier "Bullet." These can be had for under $200, but remember the saying, "You get what you pay for." Consider also the CoO (Country of Origin). Many brands manufacture guitars in different countries, and quality control can be an issue, as can be parts included. China, Korea, Indonesia, Japan and Mexico are all sources for "Fender" guitars. Often you will hear people comment on the quality (or lack of it) from foreign shores. On my part, I have terrific guitars from all (except Korea, I think) and have no complaints. Just beware.

My personal opinion (worth every penny you paid for it) is to go up from the basement level and look at something mid-tier. That is, unless you plan to replace it in a year or two as your skill improves and you find the guitar lacking in delivering what you expect.