View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Default 12 Strings

This is a very entertaining thread. My favorite so far has been the stunning Koa Ryan. The woods on that are spectacular and I love the small sound ports on the beveled arm rest.

I didn't have close to a Ryan budget when looking for a 12 string. Here are some photos of my 2008 Breedlove Masterclass A20 12-string in Adirondack spruce and East Indian rosewood. This was a custom build for a private collector, whom I bought the guitar from. It has Gotoh 510 tuners, figured mahogany neck, ebony fretboard and pinless bridge, and bloodwood binding on the body, fingerboard, and rosette. I added the matching bloodwood tuner buttons and custom inlaid truss rod cover.

I have always liked the Breedlove 12 strings because of their unique and modern design. The headstock does not look overly large, as on some 12 string guitars. Plus, Breedlove uses the bridge doctor system to relieve some of the pressure off the top (so they can use lighter bracing), and twelve steel strings exert quite a bit of pressure.

I played quite a few high end 12 strings before finding this one, including owning a Breedlove Classic XII in Sitka/Ebony. This particular 12 string really stands out sonically (at least to me), and I feel very fortunate to have found it.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut