View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Pre-slotted nuts are rarely, if ever slotted to the proper depth...they're just started, to give the proper string spacing because there's just no way they can do the depth of the string slots accurately without the guitar in hand.

Stewmac's tools are pretty pricey, but they make the work a lot easier. You will need to have a set of properly gauged nut/string slotting files at minimum. Another tool that I've found works like a charm is the Safe-slot Nut Guard, which resembles a capo but made to hold feeler gauges...guarantees that you can't cut too deep. The only caveat is that they might not work if the guitar has a volute at the headstock.

I suppose one could also use heavy rubber bands & feeler gauges to ascertain & set the depth; I go just the barest fraction above the first fret for the depth of the string slots, using stacked feeler gauge. Then slide the gauges up against the face of the nut and cut straight down until the file hits. That way the bases of the slots are all consistent with the neck radius.

There are other details of slotting that are easy to read up on, like getting the slot at the right angle away from the face of the nut...just read up on that stuff.

Good luck!

Hmmm. Maybe this is more than I am ready to handle. I assumed the only shaving I would have to do is the bottom of the nut. (And sides and the back.)

In my simple mind, I am thinking the only reason you would want to shave the slots deeper is to lower the strings. But you could achieve the lowering by shaving the bottom.

Now after reading your comment and the one above, I am wondering what is it that you would achieve by shaving the slots deeper that you wouldn’t be able to achieve by shaving the bottom.

I’m thinking, the only such thing might be making sure the slots are cut deep enough for the strings to sit securely in the slots. And that depth should a standard measurement because everyone knows the string gauges pretty much. So pre slotting them to a certain depth should be a standard thing and there shouldn’t be any adjustments needed there... is what I’m thinking, in my non experience with these things.

What am I not getting?