View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hi Su,
Good to hear from you.
I'd be more than happy to give you my take on some of the observations you shared.

That is unusual, since both arpeggios feature "a,m,i".
Answer me this: What is changing? How does the shape change?
It would be great if you could post a video.
Everyone's individual finger lengths vary to some degree, but once you have positioned your right hand in the "sweet spot", i.e. good alignment and no bouncing, all 4 fingers comfortably planted, there is no reason why your hand should change positions to accommodate what is essentially a repeating pattern of identical fingers.

I agree with that.
Are you using a mirror? That would help a lot.
Get a mirror, and position your hand comfortably to alternate "p,i,m,a,m,i" and "a,m,i".
What you're looking for in the mirror is: No change in hand position.
And no change because: The patterns are the same. So, once the hand is in place, the fingers should just be pumping away to play the pattern.

I don't really understand why that would be. One shouldn't be hurting the other.
Both scenarios are not identical, however.
The triplets in Asturias are commonly played p,i,m. I assume that's what you are doing too. So, you're essentially programming the hand in various "p,i,m"
configurations to play the piece notes. (and your hand should be moving across the soundhole accordingly depending on where those notes are, with no bounce or vertical motion.)
That's not really the same thing as playing p,i,m,a,m,i,a,m,i arpeggios repeatedly, with the hand in a stationary position.

Some people also need to tilt the hand slightly when introducing the a finger, because of length differences between i, m, and a, which can sometimes vary a lot among people.
Also, the a finger is typically not as well trained or as dexterous as the i and m fingers, so, that will slow things down a bit, as opposed to just using p,i and m, arguably the most agile.

Just mentioning this to make the point that in your case your hand need not be necessarily positioned the same to play both of these scenarios, i.e. Asturias with p,i,m and arpeggio exercises, in order for both to come out well.

So, in summary, what is not correct:
1) That your hand is changing shape to play "p,i,m,a,m,i" and "a,i,m".
(It looks like you're addressing that).

2) Assuming that your finger/hand placement for Asturias and these arpeggios needs to be identical.
That's not necessarily the case. In both cases though, your hand should be steady, with no bounce, and all fingers should be plucking the strings in essentially the same fashion. As mentioned, that may require some tilting
of the hand to accommodate the a finger, as well as a moderation in tempo to play cleanly if the a finger isn't as coordinated as the others.

These are generalizations of course. You would know best what applies to you. But you might be doing a lot more things correctly than what you are giving yourself credit for.

Incidentally, playing Asturias at a 100bpm clip cleanly is nearing, or at, virtuoso tempo. Kudos to you! So, keep that in mind if that's working well. You must be doing something right. (When I was playing that piece years ago, I never got it near that, cleanly. It wasn't so much the triplets as the fairly demanding left hand work that went along with it. Asturias is, without a doubt, an advanced level piece, and is often played as an encore by the pros, to wow them before they leave the concert hall! )
Hi Andre, thanks for the compliment. My goal for Austurias is 140bpm. That may be a little too ambitious but I don't think I can lift this weight off my shoulders until 140 is achieved.

My issue(s): When I first started playing, my a finger would naturally want to do a rest stroke. Also, the transition from i to a was difficult for me and to compensate for that - I would power through with a using a rest stroke....thus re-enforcing a bad technique.

As of today, when playing p,i,m,a,m,i,a,m,i - my hand no longer bounces or shifts and I can feel a certain muscle group in my hand being worked as though they have never been worked before. My hand, right now, is in a new world as though I have just started to learn classical guitar playing. ....so you can imagine what that is doing to my Austurias triplets. At the moment, I cannot even play Romance.

I am still practicing the triplets but I'm making a point to stay at 60bpm until my right hand is resolved. It's disheartening. When you mentioned full planting, I did it for 3 or 4 days and it felt so good. I had another one of those moments that I felt I was on the verge of conquering the triplets. That same week, I started learning the middle passage of Austurias and now my hand is sort of in a crippled stage. I even thought of forgoing the pimamiami practice and just concentrate on Austurias....but I'm afraid the transition is too far in the process.....and I'll just have to tough this out and go from there.

You've been instrumental in helping me figure out my shortcomings which has led me to the brink of conquering this piece.

I would like to share something with you. I only started playing again because my two youngest daughters were wowed by Austurias when I played it on YouTube. As their Dad, I made a promise I will learn that piece for them. You're probably wondering why I'm telling you all this. Well, I feel like there's a third person I would be letting down also if I don't finish this piece. I hope I won't let you down.

Su