View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 11:58 AM

I think there is a lot of very good advice here. I used to suffer so much from stage fright that I quit playing in public for many years, because I simply did not enjoy it, but I picked it up again and now I enjoy it quite a bit (though not without some anxiety).''

So here is the best advice I can give: practice until the songs become internalized and you don't have to worry about the basic functions—the playing and singing. I always practice standing up with a mike and amplifier because that is almost always the situation in which I perform. I find now that I sound better when I have an audience than when I am practicing. Performing for an audience is a different skill set than just playing or singing. Just practice as much as you can, with a set list that you are entirely comfortable with.

I would also say that almost everybody is more critical of themselves than the audience is so you have to find a way to kind of push past that. When a mistake is made or lyric forgotten or misspoken, never apologize or make a big deal about it, just push on through. They don't care and they probably didn't notice unless they are a guitar player themselves.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter