Thread: Your voice
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Hi, unlike alnico5, I regard myself as a singer who plays guitar.

After seeing Tom Rush in the early/mid '60s - I determined that I wanted to swap drums to sing, and for that I needed to learn guitar.

I knew that my singing was limited but for a long time really didn't know how to sing, but started writing songs - teenage angst etc.

In the '70s I became a bluegrass musician mostly playing Mando and Dobro so didn't need to sing much apart from mediocre harmonies. The eighties took me out of music due to a long illness but I slowly became a lecturer and actor and learnt a bit more about projecting my voice.

In the early '90s a lady singer at a club I went to declared that she was to become a sining teacher and I volunteered to become her first client, and she really helped my find my voice (and my confidence!).

I had to learn to sing (and talk) again in 2017 after my throat cancer treatment. I got some help from a voice coach but basically I had to force it to work by myself.

It is not as good as it was and it hurts to sing and speak but it is better than the croaks and squeaks I had at one time.

It takes a lot of concentration now.