View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is the local used market, and individual variation among instruments (just like with guitars). You might find a gem for a decent price used if you shop around.

I played a bunch of mandolins at our local brick & mortar store when I was on my search. I had a Fender FM-62SCE at the time, and it was decent enough. That one I bought used without knowing what I was doing. It served me well for many years as I was getting started.

I played everything they had (up to instruments in the $1500 range) including oft-recommended Eastmans. None of them did it for me. The old Fender was better. For lack of a better explanation, they just felt dead - like they wouldn't resonate. I was surprised, given that Eastmans generally get very good reviews.

The old Ibanez I settled on was a craigslist find. Even with the ancient strings on it (and one broke as I tried to tune to pitch) it felt alive when strummed. It had (and has) a resonance to it that gives it a great voice and good punch. It was $80. I put a JJB Prestige 220 in it and for less than $125 I was done. So, shop around. If you know what a good guitar sounds like you'll know well enough if a mandolin has it or doesn't.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511