View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I have had modded Blues Jr's and yes the Cannabis Rex is great for scooped mids and big bass and fat trebles. I tried 4 or 5 high end 10" speakers and that one is wonderful. Although I didn't ever find a vintage Jensen which have the highest praise. I tried a reconed one and it was not lush. I like ceramic speakers in PR's and BJr.'s.

I have a 76 (last year of the non-push pull volume knob. It is basically a blackface circuit but a bit Fender'ier...brighter. PR's are a little dark sounding thick warm fender flavor. I slightly favor the 70's (Starting in 68) silver face models over the lusher, darker 65 vintage.

I use a newly designed 10" Allesandro speaker. Highly recommend this for PR's. PR's have more tone than Blues Jr's.... but I love both of them.

My other Fender flavored amp is a Tone King Meteor 20 II, 2006, amazing verb and trem. It has a large cab and I think a larger cab is better for tone. My friend bought my green board, USA made Blues Jr and put it in a bigger pine cab with good results. If you can find a 10 year old Tone King with a large cab I would spring for that if you can afford it.