View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanta View Post
My last name is always fun this time of the year

I currently have a CU24 and a HBII. There's certainly a jump between them. I think they are a good comparison too because they both make their own electronics and tuners. The quality of the tuners on the PRS is better and are much smoother, the pickups from PRS are voiced fantastically (I find nearly everything from Carvin/Kiesel to be really sterile), and fretwork is better on PRS as well. Again, not a huge difference, but the quality of the components and the fretwork are better from PRS. I think Kiesel offers great value (even with the change in ownership and some of his rants and lack of customer care), but I would take a PRS any day. For me, they are worth the extra cost. I'd honestly put my two Carvin's/Kiesels as the same quality level as the PRS SE line, but I like their pickups better than what Carvin offers.
The PRS SE line has some very nice guitars. I'm looking forward to trying out a Carvin/Kiesel at some point but they're just not around anywhere near my location, which isn't surprising given they're direct order from the US.

I have a 1998 PRS CE-22 that I bought in Jan. Fit, finish, and playability are all outstanding (although I prefer 24 3/4" scale length). The Dragon II pickups are good but not great.