View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 10:04 AM

There is no perfect amp...only a perfect amp for you. I like Fendery, Supro, Milkman, Voxy clean tones and the power tube(not pre-amp) distortion they have when driven. For home use that means low power since I do not play out much anymore. For instance, I am practicing through a Fender Supersonic 22w today which if I turn over 2 on volume it starts to blow me out and adds to my permanent tinitus.....but I love the cleans on it.

Try a lot of amps and find an amp that sings to you. You might like gainy amps or cleaner sparkly. But until you play thru a lot you will always be searching for your sound. From experience, I know I bought and sold a lot of equipment until I realized what appealed to me. So take some time.

I am not sure what your budget is but if tight I would definitely look as bugera, Blackstar, Egnater Rebel and VHT and maybe some of the Fender Champs. I find Bugera dark but lots of folks like them. Blackstars are great and their distortion is good...not my thing but it could be yours. I learned this only after owning a couple...ugh. The VHT special ULtra six is more my style. I have it as practice amp. Has built in attenuation to 1/2 a watt. Sounds like my Fenders. It is handwired and can be easily modded. I find The Egnaters can cover a lot of sounds from close to Fender to close to Marshall. If I were not old and not trying to downsize I would look hard at a Rebel 20. All these can be had for decent prices used.

All in all take some time, have fun, find your sound. After that we go pedal shopping

Last edited by Scotso; 12-17-2017 at 11:18 AM.