View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy1957 View Post
Steve DeRosa said, "..........one of two produced for Brian Epstein.........."

I want to tap into that for just a moment. I can imagine Brian Epstein being asked by "the boys" to make arrangements for the building of guitars to their own liking and specifications. Is that what we are saying here? What do we know about that end of things?

What can be learned about the specifications or requirements that were typical of "the boys" in those days? What were they looking for in sound, electronics, etc.??

I find it interesting that although Brian was the "Manager" to whom they might relegate various tasks, that they (the "boys") wouldn't go themselves (or bring in) to guitar manufacturers, to talk to them directly about their ideas for design and performance. That they entrusted Brian with that, seems like a stretch.

-Soupy
One of the sources to which I referred was The Complete History of Rickenbacker Guitars by Richard R. Smith - and if you're a Rick fan it's a volume you shouldn't be without. On pp. 68-84 of the first edition Mr. Smith answers nearly all of your questions, and in far greater detail/depth than would be permitted here; one thing that is made clear, though, is that Gerry Marsden's guitar was produced/delivered - along with John's "Ticket to Ride" 325/12 - very specifically "as a favor to Brian Epstein" ...

Hope that clears matters up a bit...