View Single Post
Old 12-11-2021, 03:00 PM

Hey all,

I just thought I'd jump in with an update on how I've been getting on so far. So I fell into a rabbit hole yesterday after typing the phrases "barre exercises" and "scales practice". No idea how I got there, but I started watching YouTube videos on the Pentatonic scale! Jeez.... My head was all over the place, but I found a channel that kind of explains things well - search Google for YouTube fretjam and let me know what you think, it looks pretty good and I'm only just finished absorbing the first input.

Separately to that I've been watching links that people helpfully added and researching artists I've never heard of. JonPR listed quite a few players that I'd never heard of and are definitely before my time, but I did appreciate the skill and can definitely see how they've influenced the modem style.

I've subscribed to Justin Guitar and started back with the basics and I've also subscribed to some Richard Gilewitz material alongside the others to see whether some lessons might just help me out. I want to focus on fundamentals more than anything and I really found the Giuliani's 120 studies link pretty eye opening. The difficulty with that type of lesson is that I can't read music traditionally and I couldn't really work out the chords or patterns they were practicing just by looking. I will research it more as I believe that sliw and steady practice at the Classical techniques will make me a better player overall.

Finally (for now) I've added Marco Cirillo to my watch list as I liked his style and approach to the video you linked. There is so much to absorb, but I'm taking it slowly and hope this thread turns into something that helps others.

I've also just bought a new guitar (my second one) so I'm looking forward to trying these bits out with my new toy

Thanks again everyone