View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
...my 1963 Ampeg Gemini II is stunning for gypsy jazz...
Not surprised - Ampeg's products were targeted primarily at jazz and studio players (see my comments above about the NYC "Key Club") until founder Everett Hull's departure. BTW I don't know if you're dating your amp using pot/speaker codes, but according to both Ampeg: The Story Behind The Sound (Hopkins & Moore) and late Ampeg guru Dennis Kager (who serviced all my amps - including the top-panel/no 'verb Rocket that was one of the very first amps he worked on when he started at the Linden plant in '64) the 1x12" Gemini I - the first of the front-panel blue-check amps most old-timers associate with the Ampeg name - was designed/prototyped in 1963 and officially released in mid-1964. With the discontinuation of the big-box top-panel amps in favor of a more modern-appearing package, the 30-watt 1x15" Gemini II (among others) was introduced to fill the gap in 1965 and, while they used virtually identical tube configurations, the Gemini II used a topology more similar to Fender's late tweed-era mid-powered amps - and speaking as one who has played his share back in the day, if you need to step out of the jazz mold and get a little down-&-dirty they're an excellent choice...

Here's something you might find of interest:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/23412/...emini-ii-g-15/