View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 06:39 PM

After Murphy Slaw wrote "Moving to Montana soon..."

Hogeye replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogeye View Post
Hi Murphy,
If you are moving to Montana maybe you will be close to Bozeman? I live in Bozeman and would love to meet you. I'll buy lunch. It's a huge state but sooner or later everyone finds their way to Bozeman.
Hogeye, I think Murphy was actually quoting the lyrics of the song "Montana" from Frank Zappa's "Over-Nite Sensation" album. The song goes: "I might be moving to Montana soon...just to raise me up a crop of dental floss."

You might say it's not a strictly realistic or linear song.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogeye View Post
I'm new to this forum but have been lurking here on and off for several years. I worked in Gibson's sales department for 18 years.

I have a bunch of info on the "old" Gibson company and can answer a lot of questions. I was the "Gibson Montana" historian for many years. As a historian I kept all of the relevant information like pricelists, code identification, Shipping totals and that sort of info.
Thanks for joining us here on the forum, Hogeye.

Then Coop told a dispiriting story about poor morale at Gibson's Memphis plant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop47 View Post
I did the Memphis tour last year. It confirmed a lot of my fears about Gibson. Everyone - I'm not kidding, everyone - looked miserable....

...At the end of the Gibson tour, you saw people banging pickups with a screw driver. Not one person held a guitar in a playing position. My takeaway was that Martin makes guitars, Gibson makes guitar-shaped objects.

Bozeman is likely different and hopefully Nashville is too, but that Memphis tour was borderline haunting.
Things didn't seem anything like that when I visited the GibsonMontana factory, Coop. Admittedly, I walked through with Don Ruffato, who's one of the top guys in the company, so that would probably stifle any complaints that might have been directed my way.

But I met a bunch of employees who've been working there for decades, and it seemed like a much more pleasant work space than what you described in Memphis.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 09-08-2019 at 10:17 PM.