View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Heaviest unwound string commonly available is an .026, so unless you're using an extra-light set you're out of luck; I've also noticed that as unwound strings get heavier they tend to generate some oddball harmonics unless they're under relatively high tension and/or your scale length is longer than normal - somewhat manageable on a solid-body electric, but fraught with potential problems on an acoustic with its own unique frequency response and body resonances. FWIW back in the prewar/early-postwar era wound B-strings were commonplace on archtop comp boxes, there's a small underground movement among discerning baritone guitar players in the same direction (which I'm going to join next string change - the longer scale doesn't always help), and I've used a wound G on my electrics for the last 55+ years to improve tuning stability and harmonic consistency; IMO you might just be barking up the wrong tree here - I'd sooner be looking at one of the low-tension set options to provide easy fingering and consistent tone...