View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Guest 429

Default Dialing in Strat PUPS Vid

http://youtu.be/eqRfODd9v8s

Nice vid not simply for previewing the American Strat (and Tele) but dialing in, tweaking Strat pups...

He goes through each pup position, but relying on bridge, middle and neck positions...good reference for even an inexpensive Squier Bullet.

To get even close to that sound, you cannot go for "richness" or Bluesy gooeyness (esp. with those ceramics) on the bass side of each pup, nor too high on the treble, though the treble ends up higher relative to treble on each pup (at least for me on the Bullet).

Note: he plays on the bridge side (best place to do so for dialing in, tweaking Strat pups IMO). And he DIGS In to test/get that chime...

Have had the best results with Ernie Ball Classic Rock & Roll 10s (pure nickles) OR Ernie Ball Super Slinkys nickle wound 9s...with relatively high action which I PREFER on Strats at every price point (tweaked here and there) and a Jim Dunlop medium celluloid. I love heavy celluloids, but the loss of clarity with the heavy celluoid (with the stock pups) ain't worth it...for me...

I actually did go back and slap on EB Super Slinkys (nickle wound 9s). With the "right," still slightly higher action...the Super Slinkys work, at least for me, on the Bullet very well. They have an overall warmer voice than 10s and "hold together" better tonally...like the the pure nickle 10s.

I also dissassembled the neck to check it out, gave it a little Dr. Duck's Ax Wax...put it back together SNUG. Nicely done really at that price point and a nice neck joint/body fit.

Last edited by Guest 429; 03-06-2013 at 08:42 AM.