View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimski View Post
Just a quick tip assuming you have the gear to multitrack: record a good take with guitar and vocal on one track. Then use this as a guide to record a tight guitar only track, then record a vocal track, then throw away your original guide track and you will most likely have a version of your song which is tighter and has better vocals.
While this is not necessary (a great many classic solo folk albums were not recorded this way, just live tracked) it is a great tip that can improve things.

A large part of if solo guitar and voice works comes down to the three components. Most important is the voice. Someone with an attractive and or charismatic voice can absolutely make this work. Secondarily the song, even a voice that isn't top notch can be carried by a compelling song. Lastly the guitar part can sometimes for some audiences carry the song even if the other two parts are so-so, but it's a smaller component most times and when it carries the song it likely to a smaller audience.

I need to struggle with this because my voice doesn't really work. I should follow Klimski's tip more often myself, because concentrating on the vocal is the correct focus for best or largest audience involvement.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....