View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I have and still attend meet-ups for song criticism. It’s both fun and educational, especially if the other participants are skilled writers. I think every suggestion should be taken with a grain of salt but all suggestions should be listened to and evaluated with an objective (as much as possible) eye/ear. 9 times out of ten there is a consensus if a song is lacking. And when, in a room of 5-15 people, all agree, it’s best to let go of any attachment and rework your song.
I once read somewhere (sorry, I can't remember the writer....) that when a critique says there's something wrong with a piece or a part of a piece they are almost always right, but they are also not usually right about what is wrong or what needs to be done to improve it. I found this a useful observation when someone thinks something you think is a favorite or essential part of a piece is the bad part. The first part is the key part though, particularly if you have good open-hearted people doing the critique.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....