View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I would tend to agree with Keith

I would at least first try,,, just using the compression feature on the Yamaha mixer, see if you can get a reasonable levels for your playing live. For recording you can get any compression you may want in mixing in the DAW.

Also I would add two thoughts .....

At first really focus on learning to play and sing more balanced (between guitar and vocal) and more consistent level wise over all. Focus on intentionally (not) being "all over the place dynamics and volume" wise. I understand doing that for dramatic effect performance wise...... But that can come later. IMO much more beneficial overall to get consistent first, then chose when to intentionally add or reduce volume ( which actually can be pretty subtle in actual amount of db's) and still add the desired enhancement.

Second I would consider spending any money, on a new mic before an outboard compressor.
Either a good vocal stage condenser or an LDC (I think you will find ) switching from a dynamic mic to a condenser, will make any intentional vocal volume level changes much more noticeable with much less actual db level change, and thus easier to mix for live, or recording

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4