View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I appreciate all guitars as musical instruments. But the ones I want to play connect me, somehow, to the albums I listened to, and the musicians I went to see, when I was a teenager and young adult.

In those days I always noticed the guitars I saw being played, even though it did not occur to me that I myself would or could ever play. Now that I play a little (you could say "butcher" and not be far off) I am drawn to guitars that elicit these connections for me.

Now, I confess that I can see myself getting an electric guitar other than a Fender or Gibson: Gretsch and Rickenbacker make those connections too.
First and foremost being Boomer born in 50 I completely understand the nostalgia and connection associated with that era of the perfect storm of music.

That said: having that nostalgia be the criteria for purchase of a musical instrument is very foreign to my perspective. How a guitar sounds , plays, and how it is constructed are the only criteria for me.

Just as in playing music , where imitating or replicating a sound or a song is not my goal, my goal is an honest performance of how a song makes me personally feel and a connection to what I hear in my head, (not some other artist's head , no matter how much I genuinely admire their interpretation of how the song makes them feel) And when playing out, hoping an audience can make a connection to my interpretation. Which is why I own Taylor and Breedlove for acoustics and a PRS for electric But the good news is YMMSV Your Milage May and Should Vary

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1