View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 10:51 PM

Well my advice is a little different than others.

First off, too many people equate National guitars with slide guitar and open tunings. Although I play slide guitar on my National guitars, I play mostly in standard tuning, and many times I never pick up a slide piece. I just think certain songs are geared towards the sound of a National with it's beautiful midrange.

Here's a Jimi Hendrix song in Standard tuning on my National M2...

When I first learned to play slide guitar, I didn't even know about open tunings, I just played what I heard in my head. I would wait till a melody came to me. and then I would just figure out where the notes were on my guitar and play them. I started looking for pairs of strings in the chords that I was playing that lined up for my slide.

The big thing for me was learning how out to finger pick simple songs, so that I could play rudimentary bass lines with my thumb, while I played chords and simple melodies with my other fingers, and then eventually, with a slide. I just learned simple fingerpicking songs and started adding little flourishes of slide here and there.

I eventually learned how to play in open tunings, but I made up my own open tunings, and even when I play in open G, I do it different than most people, because I tune both of the top strings to G! low to high (GGDGBD)

Here's one my favorite tunings...
low to high) CGCGGC

I eventually got artist deal with National as Don Young (RIP) one of the co founders of the new National Resophonic heard what I was doing and liked it.

I think too many people paint themselves into a corner by buying a resonator and then just playing slide guitar blues on it. They are guitars first, they just happen to have resonator cones in them.

Start by learning to play songs first!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-24-2021 at 10:57 PM.