View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssRR View Post
If with grounded you mean if there is noise, the answer is no. There is no noise if I plug into the VAC 220 in Madrid. There is only noise when I plug it with the inverter/battery.

Do you think it will an easy solution for an amp technician?

Thanks so much!
No I mean electrical grounding (called "earthing" in the UK). In the US our household AC has a hot (energized) wire, neutral return and separate ground (earth).

The ground is there for safety - if you are using an electrical appliance and there is a failure such that the part you're touching gets energized from the hot supply, the ground is designed to conduct electricity rather than have current flow through your body.

In the US the ground and neutral are bonded (electrically connected) at the home's electrical service panel. The ground (earth) is required to be connected to a metal rod driven into the earth beyond the house's drip line (from the roof). Metal water and gas pipes in the house are required to be bonded to this ground as well.

If an amp is plugged into an outlet with a bad or faulty ground connection this can produce noise, usually a hum.

An inverter is independent of the electrical grid so the ground connection on the inverter's AC outlet doesn't connect to an earth ground. This could be the source of your noise since you posted it was not there when the amp was plugged into an AC outlet but was present when powered from your inverter.

Can you use a jumper wire to connect your inverter's chassis to a solid ground connection (like a metal cold water pipe) and see if that eliminates the noise?