View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
i dont think he was trying to make a derogatory statement, or even stating HIS opinion. I think he was just stating a fact, most people DO prefer wood over carbon fiber for guitars
I have to respectfully disagree with the portion of the quoted post where it refers to ". . . he was just stating a fact, most people DO prefer wood over carbon fiber for their guitars."

Where many of these discussions go astray, is when broad, over generalizations, which are not based on any verifiable information, . . . are presented as "fact".

For the quoted statement to be a "fact", it would have to be based on verifiable information that over 50% of all guitar players (or at least a very large statistically relevant sample), have actually played a carbon fiber guitar, and based upon actual playing experience, determined that they prefer wood over carbon fiber.

The above-described scenario does not exist, since the relatively rare presence of carbon fiber guitars in retail stores has not allowed such a volume of wood guitar players to have an appropriate experience playing a carbon fiber guitar.

What is a fact, is that:

A. the number of guitar players that have experienced carbon fiber guitars, and have determined that they (i) like carbon fiber guitars enough to purchase one (or more) for their collection which may also include wood guitar(s), and (ii) in some cases may have decided that the overall package of benefits offered by a carbon fiber guitar is preferable to a wood guitar;

B. is a sufficient number of guitar purchasers to currently support the business of the four long standing carbon fiber guitar manufacturers (i.e. RainSong; Composite Acoustics; Blackbird; and Emerald), . . . with RainSong having been successfully manufacturing carbon fiber guitars for 20 years or more, . . . and with McPherson now having entered the market.

Also, while not carbon fiber, keep in mind that the Martin line of HPL (high pressure laminate) body, and some body and top, guitars sits somewhere between the carbon fiber world and the solid wood guitar world.

While carbon fiber guitars are clearly a very small portion of the overall guitar market, the value and performance provided by carbon fiber guitars are clearly appreciated by a growing number of players, enough to keep the above-referenced companies in business, and incentivize McPherson to enter the market.

I also appreciate wood guitars, having played some fine Taylor and Martin guitars in a local shop over the weekend.

There is no need to make broad statements that (whether intended are not) appear to dismiss carbon fiber guitars entirely.

A more positive approach to commentary and discussion would be to celebrate the current vast number of choices for guitars players, from high end solid wood guitars made by both big producers and small luthiers from both traditional and exotic/rare tone woods, to guitars with different wood combinations and laminates that provide an increasing variety of nice sounding guitars in the $500 to $1000 range, to the option of carbon fiber and other composite instruments that provide quality tone (yes, different than wood tone, but still a quality acoustic tone), with the added benefits of protection against the issues of heat and humidity extremes that wood guitars must contend with.