View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM

“Depression” merely suggests that certain symptoms are present. Some of those symptoms are physical (sleep disturbance, loss of appetite), some are psychological (feeling sad, lowered self-esteem), some are social (withdrawal from others, feeling lonely or isolated even without a change in the social network), some are cognitive (experience a slowing of the flow of thought, problems concentrating), and some could be considered spiritual (feeling cursed). The symptoms mentioned are only illustrative examples...there are many more that could fit in each category

Thus, in point of fact there are MANY different types of depression, and many different causes have already identified in the professional research.

It is also very important to know that anything that can truly be considered “depression” is fundamentally and importantly different from “everyday unhappiness” and “ordinary discontent”; these may have some similarity to depression, but also some crucial differences.

Some types of depression might well be increasing because of various societal challenges. In my opinion, the US is facing a crisis in purposefulness of work which spawns some depressions. And, the US is also facing a crisis about the meaningfulness of modern life, which gives rise to some depressions and some substance abuse disorders. Other cultures with developed economies may be facing similar crises.

Then again, the world has always “been mad”, so it would be hard to claim that the current madness is more depressing than the madness of previous generations. For example, I would regard the era of US Civil War (with the decades immediately before and after) to have been more depressing than now.

Certainly all types of depression have lost much of their stigma, and will therefore be diagnosed more often. And, because there are many treatments for depression that are successful (i .e. the treatments each provide relief or “cure” for certain range of depressive symptoms), people are more likely to seek treatment and therefore will be diagnosed.

It will be interesting to read other posts to this thread.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-10-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Removed religious content