View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 09:10 AM

Default audio-technica PRO-35 clip on mic on my archtop

Last night was our first show of a 7 week run of Tim Rushlow's Big Band at The Nashville Palace. Tried something new with my archtop. I used an audio-technica PRO 35 cardioid condenser clip on mic attached to the tail piece of my L-5 (see photo). I wanted to use an LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI for EQ and muting, but to do this I had to place a phantom power adapter (only $34) between the mic and the Baggs DI. The phantom power adapter is a small (3" x 3" x 2") box with and XLR in, an XLR out, and a 110v transformer. It sends phantom power to the mic and audio to the Baggs DI (I used a cable with XLR on one end and 1/4" on the other.

I also had my L-5 plugged into my Roland amp. I kept the volume pot on my L-5 at zero when using the mic and if i needed the electric/pickup tone, I'd roll my volume up and turn down the Baggs DI.

The band...

My guitars. The Guild archtop was a backup. I could quickly move the clip on mic that that guitar if needed.

The audio-technica PRO 35 attached to my L-5...

My two LR Baggs DI's (sitting on a homemade stand made of 4" PVC with a shower drain on each end which I spray painted black).

The phantom power adapter...

Last edited by 815C; 11-11-2017 at 10:45 AM.