View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Taylor makes more guitars than anyone else and no matter where you go, whichever corner of the country, overwhelmingly Model A in a boutique shop in Boston feels, looks, plays and sounds pretty much exactly like Model A in Guitar Center in Los Angeles, etc. I can't even pretend to say that about anyone else pumping out even a modest volume compared to them. They also completely focus on that element, over lots of other things. They are truly and innovative and progressive manufacturing company from which manufacturers in other sectors can take notes.

I think you can't really talk about consistency with companies that make very few instruments because that's not a true body of work to base anything on. Make 20-50 guitars a year even, you should be able to agonize over every detail. That doesn;t necessarily translate to tone, but fit and finish should be exceptional every time when you're making so few and can take as long as it needs.

PRS, I feel, has become the Taylor of the electric guitar world with a growing offering and I can't say I've seen any new PRS over the last 5-6 years that weren't perfect. Solidbodies can be tough with weight and some appearances, but they are remarkably great one to the next and wherever I roam, they seem to be the same standard, which is quite high.