View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default The Home Stretch

I got an email from Sparky last night with the last photos that I will receive for a while since we are on the home stretch with the lacquering process and final assembly left to go. I am beyond excited at this point. I put in this order in February of 2018 so now it is down to the last two months or so. I am really loving the rich color of the mahogany and do know that it will deepen over time.

From Sparky's email:

3 pictures of the body and neck assembled and prepped for a final epoxy pore fill wash coat. The 1st coat of lacquer is sprayed over this while the epoxy still has a little tack, so that the lacquer will bite into it and bond better. The final shot shows the back with the wash coat applied, and shows the beautiful color of the ribbon grained mahogany with a little bit of curl in it. After 5 coats of lacquer over 3 days, it will be allowed to cure for another 3-4 days, then sanded and leveled and the process repeated 2 more times. The final session will cure for 2-3 weeks before the final rub out and buffing, after which final assembly can begin.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So enjoy for now and I will probably not post anything else until June. Thanks again for letting me share this great process.

Best,
Jayne