View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 07:37 PM

I'm not really sure what some of you all are getting at. Are you petitioning the owners of AGF to change the name of the section to nylon string instead of classical guitar?

That would be inaccurate. Much as one might argue otherwise, classical guitar is the broader term since there are guitars and other instruments in the class discussed in this forum that use or can be strung with gut, nylgut, or, more rarely, wire strings of certain gauges or combinations of nylon, gut, nylgut and wire strings.

There is nearly a century of usage for guitars of this class called classical guitars and players of classical guitars, designated as such, using them for many different styles of jazz, folk, country, crossover, samba, whatever.

Think Chet Atkins, Charlie Byrd, Yamandu Costa, Buster B Jones, Jerry Reed, John Knowles, Smokin Joe Robinson, Tommy Emmanuel, and many others. The instrument they have all played, and say they have played, when referring to such, is the classical guitar. Respect it.

We can start with the Gibson Chet Atkins CEC - Which stands for Classical Electrical Guitar - and drill into it from there, moving on to the Sands custom electrical Classical guitars.

I suspect that's why this section is called the Classical section. I think there should be a pretty good reason to change it.