Thread: Next step up
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM

You have great equipment. An Apogee Duet and a Mac is a match made in heaven. Duet pres are excellent. I think your search for a good sound should be elsewhere.

How are you recording right now? Just the one mic? Some options are to use the output of the Taylor into one of the inputs of the Duet and the mic into the other. Another option is to get another mic and record with two mics (that's what I do). There's a ton of internet advice on mic placement which is the single most important factor in getting a good sound.

By the way Logic has just been upgraded if you want to try it. I use a little older version. Solo fingerstyle guitar is a comparatively simple recording process so you won't be using much of Logic's capabilities but so what? Garageband is no slouch either and for what you're doing it's really all you need.

I use two mics in a spaced pair configuration (use headphones when placing mics to fing the "sweet spot"). Record clean onto two tracks. You can add a little reverb, compression, limiting, etc. to taste later. Up to you how you want it to sound.

Good luck!