Thread: Kraut OM BRW
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
I would agree that most do not open up all of a sudden. But most have noticed some changes quite quickly. However, we all know that each guitar is different, and the wood responds at a different rate. I was really amazed how this one sounded right of the bat.
I think guitars opening up is a player-centric concept -- it's all in how people perceive and interpret the changes.

Like any guitar fan, I hope that my guitars will sound "better" with time. And if you asked me how I would define "better", I probably couldn't. I guess I'd hope that my warm guitars have better note definition, and that my trebley guitars have more warmth. Or somewhere along those lines.

I've got about ten acoustic guitars lined up here, ranging from 2 months to 15 years old. All were new when I bought them. To my ear and analysis, none of them has "blossomed" or "opened up" over time.

On certain days, my guitar sounds so much "better" to my ears. If I had to conclude that it had "opened up", I would have to conclude that it would've shut down a couple days later.

Through the typical life cycle of a set of strings, a guitar will have so many personalities. Other factors include how well a guitar is tuned, the relative humidity levels, the string action, and so much more.